Thursday, August 23, 2007

Home






I had my first NOLA dream last night. It was, of course, spooky. What I remember most is waking up and gasping for air. Feeling dirty, dusty. The trip has snuck into me - images and memories come at strange times. I think back to what Jocelyn, our guide, said to us. Bring our stories back. Tell people that NOLA still needs us. The rebuild process is slow, and is still going on.

I've been thinking of how we can extend our experience. What can we all realistically do from far away? Especially since many of us are busy with our own lives. I know Trisha starts school today, our university classes start soon. Do we think of another trip? Can we find ways to individually connect our own lives with others in NOLA?

In the meantime, I'm collecting photos from others on the trip, and will soon post some of their comments and thoughts. Here are a few more photos of the devastation, a peak at the rebuilding of one of the levees that broke, and a shot from the end of the week pizza lunch hosted by the KIPP staff.

No comments: