Thursday, August 16, 2007











It's Wednesday, and while I'm sitting here trying to update this blog, a 5 block party heads by complete with music and dancing. Sorry. I had to step away and now have a neck full of beads.

Back to the story - the city is interesting and sporadic. Some days things seems to work fine, there are neighborhoods that seem like what we find back home. Internet connection seems that way too - when we find it, it's slow, and tunes out at will. So sorry for not posting.

Today at Kipp Central City Academy, we did everything from take off old doors, drill and hand new white boards, data-entry hundreds of books, and even starting helping teachers arrange desks and cover bulletin boards. All in anticipation of the first day of school - which has been pushed back to next Wednesday due to many issues...meanwhile our group of 12 from NLU service learning team have grown closer as we learn about the conditions of the schools and each realize that we have the power to do something to help.

Weather has been hot, hot, hot. Luckily many of the rooms at the school have window air units, so we get a rest.

3 comments:

Dr. Seema Imam said...

Gretings, and gald to hear you are still there. It sounds like a foreign country. I know that some parts of the world have electricity hours. They merely don't have power 24 -7. I mean here in America we do take our lives for granted. I am amazed that the recovery in 2 years (LA is in America) is not what I would have expected as I am sure you will agree.
God bless the NLU group. I think that you will never be the same! See you soon, Seema

Shari said...

Wow, good for you Janet. What it must feel like to know you are making a difference.

....what did you do for the neck full of beads....???!!!!!

Unknown said...

Sorry about your eyes. Glad you're coming back. The beads are really a part of NO culture and I'm glad you have them as a memento. What a good deed all of you have done. I congratualate all of you on your adventure, your dedication, your hard work and your craziness. If you want me to pick you up at the airport I would be glad to do it. DD